Friday 21 to Sunday 23 November 2014
This November, members from Seven Hills WI are heading to the WI's very own residential college in Oxfordshire for a 'New Wave Weekend'. This is a Denman course especially aimed at new wave WIs, giving us a chance to get away with the girls and experience a selection of workshops at Denman such as drumming, vintage corsage making, biscuiteering, meringue-making, bollywood and burlesque dancing as well as textile decorating.
Having been before, I can speak from experience and say that it is well worth making the trip. A few SHWIees went to the New Wave Weekend in December 2012 and we absolutely fell in love with the charm of the place. The building and grounds are stunning, with each room adorned with handicrafts from the different federations of WIs up and down the country. As well as a choice of workshops and two nights' accommodation, we were also treated to welcome drinks, breakfast, lunch and three-course dinners during our stay!
The cost of the course is £255 for members or £295 for non-members - which we are sure you will agree is an absolute bargain once you've been and enjoyed the classes, the food and the accommodation.
We have made arrangements to make a group booking with Seven Hills WI for 15 people. After this, any additional people who sign up will be subject to Denman having spaces remaining. If you would like to come, please bring £50 deposit to our next meeting on Thursday 18 April.
Come and see me (Jen) at Thursday's meeting with your cheque (payable to Seven Hills WI) or cash to make sure you bag a space! We will also need your name, address and contact details so if you bring this on a piece of paper that'll make it quicker and easier.
Some practical info:
- Prior to the course, students will be contacted to choose three workshops from Drumming for Fun - Heather Summers, Make a Vintage Style Corsage - Louise Simmonds, Biscuiteering - Natalie Green, Making and Decorating Meringues - Kelly Mauger, Dancing Bollywood and Burlesque - Annabel Brash, Textile Decorations - Pat Lumsdale
- To make administration easier, cheques should made payable to Seven Hills WI and we will make payment to Denman College for the whole group.
- The remaining balance is payable by September’s meeting at the latest, this is Thursday 18 September 2014.
- If at least 10 people sign up there will be a 5% discount
- You are responsible for travel costs to get to and from the College, and for any spending money you need whilst you're there (this would not be much on this course as all meals are included in the price. You would just need money for any drinks at the bar or things you might buy in the shop).
- We will make arrangements for travel nearer the time. Last time, we arranged car shares and we split the cost of petrol, so you can expect something similar.